Posted by Debbi Benedict on April 10, 2017
I completely forgot how painful it is to use a glue gun. Why didn’t someone remind me?! I now have four fingers with little baby blisters on them. I should have worn some kind of gloves. I did get a little smart by Sunday and sat a bowl of ice water beside me to dip my burned fingers in and that helped tremendously.
I spent Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday making all my craft items for my Easter table. I enjoyed it, other than the burned fingers, so much. Here is what I worked on:
As I mentioned last week, I wanted my table to be nature-inspired. I think these napkin rings are adorable! This is what I started with:
First I painted the plain wooden napkin rings with a light gold matte paint. Then I broke up the big piece of dried greenery and glued it on, followed by the nest, and then the tiny eggs. A very simple project other than dealing with the tiny pieces of greenery. I was looking for a big bunch of faux ferns that I could cut a piece off of for each side, but I couldn’t find any, so this is what I came up with and I had to cut three or four tiny pieces off and glue them on individually. That’s where a lot of my finger burning came from. This is how they ended up. I think it was totally worth the burned fingers:
The next thing I worked on were the place cards. These were the most simple things ever!They originally called for using nests, but at $3 each, I thought these little wreaths worked even better and they were only .49 each, saving me about $25! Also, the one I saw on Pinterest, they hand wrote the names on the eggs, but I wanted something a little more formal, so I used a fancy font and printed out the names and glued them on the eggs with a glue stick. The eggs have flat bottoms so they stand up beautifully in their nest. So, I just took the wreath, tucked in some moss and set the egg in it. Easy-peasy! I didn’t even need to glue anything together – thank goodness!! This is what it looks like close up:
Then I tackled the centerpiece, which is in three parts – two egg topiaries and a bunny in a basket. This was the most time-consuming because I had to paint the eggs – not an easy thing to do because they are so roll-y and in addition to the sides, you had to get the top and the bottom. This took about five or six coats of paint and letting them dry between each coat. I started with these items for the topiaries:
After spraying all the eggs with chalk paint, it was time to hot glue them onto the styrofoam cones. By the way, I looked for plastic white eggs and they were not to be found. After they dried, I tucked moss in between each egg. I think I used 19 eggs per topiary. I already had the bunny and the basket, so I took the leftover eggs and moss and tucked them around the bunny. This is how they turned out:
I can’t wait to see these as the stars of my Easter table!
Finally, I created little table favors for the table, in lieu of Easter baskets. These were so simple to make that I forgot to take a photo of the supplies, but basically I used paper lunch bags, which I cut a “V” out of to make the ears, cotton balls for the tail, and little tags that I put stickers on and then tied it with ribbon. I put Easter grass inside on the bottom and then filled with candy. I will put one at each place setting. So simple. Here is the finished product:
I can’t wait to put my table together using all of these items that I made with love. To me, this is not work, it is fun and it is what makes Easter special for me. Believe me, I don’t always have time to do these things and then I just buy pre-made things, and that is okay, too. Whatever works for you. I have found, though, the more I make for the holidays, the more I enjoy them. It is a creative outlet for me.
Wednesday I will share the games I am using for our Benedict Family Easter Olympics – all totally different from last year!